Thursday, March 18, 2010

Roasted Asparagus, Zucchini and Tomato Salad

I am very apprehensive when it comes to making salad. They just don't turn out right. Maybe it's genetic, my mother also isn't confident when it comes to salad. I do really enjoy a good whole meal salad and the ones I have been making are getting better.This one was exceptional. I couldn't find halloumi cheese at my supermarket and I didn't grill the vegetables like the original recipe said to but it was delicious just the same. I love roasted vegetables! They are super easy and juicy and wonderful. I served this with the Greek turkey meatballs.

Roasted Asparagus, Zucchini and Tomato Salad
(adapted from Closet Cooking-and Cook Sister!) Makes 2 large salads

4 handfuls spinach
1 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
8-10 spears asparagus
1 zucchini, thinly slice lengthwise
4 oz breadcheese, cut into 1 oz slices (Juustoleipa/Leipajuusto)-Carr Valley is the brand I have.
Juice from 1/2 lemon
1 1/2 tablespoons pesto
olive oil
salt
pepper

  1. Place tomatoes, asparagus and zucchini on baking sheet. Drizzle with a little olive oil, add salt and pepper and toss to coat, keeping each vegetable separate from the others. Broil on high 5 minutes or until you reach desired color.
  2. Mix lemon juice, pesto and approx. 1 tablespoon olive oil, reserve as dressing for the salad.
  3. Heat bread cheese 30 second in the microwave on separate plate. Top spinach with cheese.
  4. Add vegetables and dressing to salad. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment