Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Mujadarrah

I was living in Spain when I first tried lentils. I hated them. Then I tried the lentil soup with cider vinegar. This is the only way to eat lentil soup. Giving up on lentils for a while, I had them again at W's house over rice and lettuce with feta and vegetables. It was awesome! So I decided to try this Middle Eastern recipe because I love onions. I was not impressed. I'd say if you like lentils, it was delicious. I had to throw out my leftovers. Not one of my better experiments.

Mujadarrah (adapted from CookEatShare)

1 tsp olive oil
1/2 large onion, sliced into rings
1/3 cups uncooked lentils
1/4 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp plain Greek yogurt

  1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onions, and cook about 10 minutes, until nicely browned. Remove from the heat and set aside.
  2. Place lentils in a medium saucepan with enough lightly salted water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer about 15 minutes.
  3. Add the rice and enough water to cover into the saucepan with the lentils. Season with salt and pepper. Cover saucepan, and continue to simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until rice and lentils are tender.
  4. Mix half the onions into the lentil mixture. Top with yogurt or sour cream and remaining onions to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment