So I've been staring at the leftover piles of tortillas in the fridge, wondering when the last time we even used tortillas and I finally decided that the time had come to use up the last of them. I had 3 whole wheat tortillas and 8 corn tortillas of different sizes. I found some different recipes for various items and settled on a tortilla pie (stack, or lasagna-whatever you want to call it). I read over a few recipes and made something completely different. Here is what I came up with and hopefully it isn't too terrible. I have no idea how it tastes yet. That it be the closing paragraph I suppose...
Tortilla Pie (in a slow cooker)
1.5 pounds ground turkey (93%)
1 yellow pepper, diced
1 sweet onion, chopped
1 tsp peanut oil
1-2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
2 cloves garlic chopped
16 oz. canned tomato sauce
8 tortillas (or the combination that is listed above)
2 cups shredded cheese (Mexican blend or your preference)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté onion until just tender then add onions and pepper and cook several minutes.
- Add garlic, chili powder, ground cumin, salt, pepper and oregano.
- Add ground turkey. When meat is browned, stir in tomato sauce and continue cooking until hot. Add cinnamon and crushed red pepper.
- Line your slow cooker with foil. You can use the foil as handles to lift out the pie when you are ready.
- Lightly butter one of the tortillas. Lay one tortilla, buttered side up, on foil in bottom. Spread with the meat mixture and a layer of cheese. Cover with another buttered tortilla, more meat mixture and cheese. Repeat layers.
- Cover crock pot, and cook on HIGH 1 hour. When ready to serve, lift out, using foil strips and transfer to serving dish. Cut into wedges. Serve with sour cream, chopped green onion, and salsa if desired.