Monday, October 12, 2009

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies


You know those fundraiser cookbooks? The ones sold by churches, schools, and scouting troops... Generally they are forgotten immediately or browsed through at various intervals only to find about 17 versions of Seven Layer Taco Dip and numerous casseroles made with cream of mushroom soup. This recipe comes from The Legal Secretary Cookbook (I think it was some sort of association but I apparently didn't write down anymore info), submitted but one Grace McLaughlin. I don't know who you are Ms. McLaughlin, legal secretary of the 1970s-80s but THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH! This is one of my favorite cookie recipes. I decided to change one thing to see if it made a difference and for some reason the cookbook claims it makes 5 dozen cookies. It makes approx. 37 cookies or 3 dozen if you eat a little bit of batter (just a little!). October is the month my mother always made Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies and Sugar Cookies in the shape of cats. I'm not much of a sugar cookie fan so I don't bother with those. She made the same ones in the shape of hearts for Valentine's Day and various shapes at Christmas time. I'm not much of a baker. Too much measuring and science involved, not enough improvisation/experimentation (can you tell I used to do theatre in high school?). However, I have a hard time going without these cookies when the fall rolls around. It's very easy and you can whip these up in 30-40 minutes depending on how many cookie sheets you want in the oven at once.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies (adapted from Legal Secretary Cookbook-Grace McLaughlin)

Yields 3 dozen

1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup natural apple sauce (original recipes calls for 1/2 cup oil no applesauce)
1 cup sugar
1 egg beaten
1 cup canned pumpkin
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda, dissolved in 1 tsp milk
1 cup chocolate chips (I've always used semi-sweet)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon

  1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
  2. Combine pumpkin, sugar, oil, applesauce and egg in a large bowl.
  3. In a smaller bowl combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
  4. Add dry ingredients to wet with baking soda mixture.
  5. Stir in chips and vanilla.
  6. Drop rounded teaspoons on lightly greased cookie sheet.
  7. Bake 10 -12 min.
These are a soft cakey cookie. Each cookie is 1 WW point. That's if you eat only 1. If you eat 2 cookies it is 3 points. So I guess you could count them as a point and a half just to be safe. I calculated that with my modification. I couldn't tell the difference using half applesauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment