Carbonnade a la Flamande (Beer Stew)
1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1-1.5 lbs. lean beef chuck, well trimmed, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/8 c. peanut oil
3 Tbsp. tomato paste (or 3 Tbsp catsup and omit the sugar)
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 bay leaf
1/8 tsp. thyme
1 tsp dried parsley
3 cups (24 oz.) beer
6-7 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
1 large onions
Freshly cooked noodles and or 2 potatoes peeled and cut into uniform chunks
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in bag or Tupperware container. Add meat and shake to coat well.
- Heal oil in a large flat pan or skillet. Add meat in batches (do not crowd pan) and brown on all sides.
- Add seasonings and beer and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover partially and simmer about 1 1/2 hours. Discard bay leaf.
- Add carrots, potatoes, and onion and simmer 1 hour longer. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve over bed of egg noodles.