Friday, October 16, 2009

More Pork Tenderloin


This one is just ok taste wise. It look beautiful and is a good concept, but for me I just didn't like the flavor combination. I also think there was WAY too much onion in the sauce. I'm starting to realize that I really prefer my pork with a little bit of sweetness. I also wasn't thrilled with mushrooms and pork together. I know, I know...I sound like such a whiner but the pictures are nice and you may like it even if I don't. Surprisingly J even had some of the sauce (SHOCKING) even though he had crispy potatoes instead of roasted brussel sprouts. So here is my attempt at using up some more of that lovely BOGO pork tenderloin.

Autumn Pork Tenderloin (adapted from Kayotic Kitchen)
1 pork tenderloin (approx. 1 pound)
4 oz mixed mushrooms, chopped
1 medium red onion, chopped
2 heaping tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 cup fat free low sodium chicken broth
1/2 a cup milk
1 tbsp white wine
4 tbsp butter
dried parsley
Worcestershire sauce
pepper
salt

  1. Season the pork with salt and pepper. Rub all over with mustard.
  2. Heat 2 tbsp butter and saute the onions until they start to soften.
  3. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook over low heat until everything softens.
  4. Add flour and cook so none of the flour remains raw about 2 minutes.
  5. Add wine and stir, add milk and stir until sauce is lump free. Add the broth gradually as the sauce thickens.
  6. Simmer over low heat 15 min.
  7. Heat the rest of the butter over medium high heat and brown meat on all sides.
  8. Once all sides are completely browned, lower the heat slightly and add approx. 1/4 cup of water. Cover and braise meat turning periodically. Use a meat thermometer to test for doneness. It should read 160 degrees. Remove meat from pan and wrap in foil.
  9. Add parsley to the sauce, along with salt, pepper and a splash of Worcestershire.
  10. Slice pork and drizzle with sauce.
You know as a child the most hated vegetable for kids is Brussels sprouts. Most kids haven't seen a sprout let alone taste them because they have gotten a bad wrap for so long. I think every TV show I ever saw as a kid shouted from the rooftops how disgusting liver and Brussels sprouts were. My mother never made Brussels sprouts when I was a kid, but nonetheless all that propaganda had corrupted me and it wasn't until I was in college that I actually tried one. My friend M really likes them but I can't really do them whole or steamed. It's a textural problem. This is only the third time I've tried them and they were still very good. I had them roasted once before and I've also made them shredded with pasta and pine nuts (highly recommended). This was my first time roasting them myself. It's very easy:

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

2 cups Brussels sprouts, washed removing and unsavory looking outer leaves
1-1.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt
pepper

Cut sprouts in half.
Toss the Brussels sprouts with the oil, salt and pepper.
Roast on a baking sheet 40 minutes(unless you like them less cooked) at 400 degrees. Turn or toss in order to achieve uniform caramelizing.

I read you can cook at 425 degrees for less time but I didn't try that. I think next time I would cut them in quarters because I prefer the crunchy texture. If you have never tried them I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment