Monday, October 19, 2009

Autumn Risotto


I LOVE risotto, love, love love it! J on the other hand has been tolerating it because that's the way it works at our house. He tolerates what I cook and then most likely sneaks more food after I go to bed. Tonight's dinner was a carry over from one of the meals I was supposed to make last week. I made a variation of an Autumn Risotto I found. Sadly, I'm not a huge fan of butternut squash, so I used a sweet potato in tonight's risotto. As a general rule I don't like to mix starches. I don't want potatoes in my pasta or on pizza. I don't like to eat a Spanish tortilla sandwich etc. This was an exception for me. This was also exceptional for me.

Autumn Risotto
(adapted from anticiplate)
1 sweet potato (yam?), cubed
2 tbsp salted butter (or just add a little salt to unsalted butter)
pinch of cinnamon
4 sweet apple chicken sausages, cubed
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 large sweet onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp each chopped fresh sage and rosemary
1 cup arborio rice
3.5 cups fat free low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup apple cider
salt
pepper
pepitas (roasted pumpkin seeds)

  1. In a microwavable bowl add an inch of water to cubes of raw potato. Cook approx 5 min or until slightly tender.
  2. Melt butter and sugar in a pan and add potato. Finish cooking in the butter mixture and set aside.
  3. Heat oil in a pot (or large pan). Add sausage and cook partially. Add onion and garlic and finish cooking sausage. Add sage and rosemary.
  4. Add rice and stir to coat with oil, about 1 minute. Add broth and cider 1/2 cup at a time (they should be warm or room temperature not cold) stirring semi-constantly. Rice with take on a creamy texture.
  5. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with a sprinkle of pepitas.

No comments:

Post a Comment