Thursday, April 8, 2010

Pasta with Roasted Broccoli and Walnuts: Biggest Loser Recipe Makeover #3


Well the contest is over and J came in first! I was third (lost ~25 lbs.) and my dad was second. This is one of the meals we ate the very last week. Since then we had Easter eating extravaganza and I started a contest at work so I'll be weighing in each week still. I had gained 10 lbs. from Easter but I'm back down 7 lbs. Hopefully I can lose those last 3 lbs. quickly and get back on track (otherwise I have to pay a dollar!). Still eating minimal meat when I cook at home. This used only about 4 oz. of chicken. I suppose I could have left it out but J really doesn't like pasta dishes so I feel like it needs a little meat to make him happier.

Pasta with Roasted Broccoli and Walnuts (adapted from Real Simple)

4 ounces shell pasta or some other short pasta
2 crown broccoli, cut into small florets
3 tbsp walnuts, roughly chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
kosher salt and black pepper
1 tsp salted butter
1/8 cup grated Parmesan
4 oz. cooked chicken breast
  1. Heat oven to 400° F.
  2. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking water, drain the pasta, and return it to the pot.
  3. Meanwhile, on a rimmed baking sheet, toss the broccoli, walnuts, oil, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Roast, tossing once, until the broccoli is tender, approx. 15 minutes. Toss the pasta with the broccoli mixture, chicken breast, butter, and some of the reserved pasta water. (Add more water if the pasta seems dry.) Sprinkle with the Parmesan before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment