Monday, April 26, 2010

Hummus and crispy chickpea skins

I know everyone makes a hummus recipe. I know most hummus recipes are quick and easy. This was not quick and easy but it made some damn good hummus. This was just like the Lebanese Restaurant near our house. I didn't think about researching beforehand and spent a really, really long time peeling each individual garbanzo bean. I read about a few other methods just now. Results: super smooth hummus. I couldn't just let all those skins go to waste though. So I put them in the oven and sort made some snacks like when I made the ceci arrostiti. All I did for the skins was put them in the oven on 350 degrees with a little spray of olive oil and some salt and ras el hanout. I checked them often but I'd guess they were in there between 10 and 20 minutes. YUM! Here is a picture: When I was in pre-school my best friend's family was Palestinian, recently my mom and I visited her parents and her mom taught me how to make falafel correctly with a press. I haven't had a chance to make them again but she gave me a large bag of garbanzo beans and that's what I used to make this hummus.

Hummus
(from Chicho's Kitchen)

1 cup chickpeas soaked overnight (or one cup canned chickpeas drained and rinsed)
1/4 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 garlic clove, crushed
cooking water
salt
sumac
olive oil

  1. Cook the chickpeas with boiling salted water until tender.
  2. When done, drain the beans and keep the cooking water. Peel them.
  3. Put the chickpeas into a food processor and grind until smooth.
  4. Add the tahini, the garlic, the lemon juice and the salt if necessary. If the hummus is thick, add some cooking water blending until the desired texture. Spoon into a dish, drizzle some olive oil and garnish a pinch of sumac.
I added water a few tablespoons at a time. I think it depends on your preference of texture on how much water you add.

No comments:

Post a Comment