Wednesday, April 21, 2010

In search of the yeastless pizza crust...

I was having my cousins HT and E over for "make your own pizza". I don't like dealing with yeast dough when I'm having guests because it's a little bit of a hassle. Luckily on Sunday night I decided to give a new recipe a dry run. I found a flatbread recipe and found some junk in the house to put on it. The problem was it was too dry and cracker-like which wasn't what I was looking for.

Being that I had to cook for the children (plus my mom and aunt) on Tuesday, I had no choice but to find another recipe and cook it sight unseen. After reading the copious reviews I decided I should be able to trust it. I liked it! The kids seemed to enjoy it and the parents seemed to like it too. Here are the two recipes and the pictures from each. You decide what you like...
Flatbread Dough (from Whole Family Fare)

1 1/3 cups unbleached flour
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup water

  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  2. Start by mixing the dry ingredients together. Add the egg yolks and olive oil.
  3. Pour in the water and slowly mix until it forms a very shaggy dough.
  4. Knead for a few minutes (you may need to add a little more flour so that it isn't so sticky).
  5. Let it rest for 20 minutes, before rolling it out (preferably onto an preheated baking stone). Bake at 450 for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
  6. Remove from oven and top with your veggies and cheeses. Place back in the oven for 5 minutes.
I topped this one with leftover fajita chicken, shredded and mixed with crushed fennel seed, sliced leftover apple, and a little shredded colby jack cheese. I don't think I would reccommend these particular toppings.

Here is the other recipe:
Yeast Free Pizza Crust (adapted from cooks.com)

2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
2/3 c. water
1/4 c. olive oil

Mix all ingredients and let sit 10-15 minutes to rest. With a little whole wheat flour on the board, roll out dough to desired size and thickness. Top and bake on 500 degrees for 12-15 min.
Here the kids are eating.
Here we are with the kids' creations. They had red sauce, cheese and bacon.
The Aftermath
The adults had pear and blue cheese pizza with walnuts and rosemary. MMMMMMM

No comments:

Post a Comment