Friday, April 16, 2010

Lemon Grass Chicken and Noodles

This was my first experience cooking with lemon grass and I really enjoyed it. I'm hoping it will be more accessible at the store next time I try to buy it. This time I was able to find it in two forms. One was a jar but I was apprehensive about it so I ended up buying the seafood pack of herbs in the produce section. It came with dill and chives but I feel in the future if I have to buy it in that form I will be able to find a vehicle for those herbs as well. J thought this tasted too much like cilantro and I thought it needed to be sweeter. I added a little hoisin sauce mixed with leftover chicken broth at the table. The picture above does not include that. The whole thin was only approximately 6 WW points (including the hoison sauce).

Lemon Grass Chicken and Noodles (adapted from Weight Watchers)
Serves 3-4

5 sprays cooking spray
6 oz boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
4 large scallions, white and light green parts thinly sliced
1 1/2 tbsp chopped lemongrass
2 cloves garlic minced
1 cup fat free chicken broth
2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1 tsp cornstarch
zest of 1 lime
1/2 tsp crushed red paper flakes
8 oz whole wheat linguine
1/2 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
(1 tbsp hoisin sauce, thinned with a few tbsps chicken broth)

  1. Cook pasta according to package, keep hot.
  2. Coat a large wok with cooking spray and set pan over medium-high heat.
  3. Add chicken and cook 5 minutes, until golden brown on all sides.
  4. Add scallions, lemongrass and garlic and stir-fry 2 minutes.
  5. Add broth, soy sauce, zest and red pepper flakes and bring to a simmer. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
  6. Remove a few tablespoons of hot broth from wok and mix with cornstarch. Add slurry to wok.
  7. Add spaghetti and cook 1 minute to heat through. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
  8. Top with hoisin sauce as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment