Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Chicken Cutlet and Summer Salad

I know, I know! Where have I been, right? This was my third summer at grad school. I go for 5 weeks and I live there. I have to eat dining hall unhealthy food and I miss my kitchen terribly. This year I had planned to try and cook on the weekend and bring my food for the week. I tried the first two weeks and it went ok, but then the workload started to take it's toll and I ended up not cooking. Last night was my first night back in the kitchen and it really felt great! I especially missed blogging and a whole month off was too much. Last night I just used up some old ground turkey and summer squash in a little pasta dish. Tonight I thought I'd really get back into it!

This recipe was adapted off the site
thekitchn.com. I really want to thank all the blogs I read honestly because my Google reader was a familiar friend when I decided I needed a break. Even though I ate a TON of salad in the dining hall (one of the only things that didn't seem frozen, uberpreserved etc.), I felt compelled to make this.
What is this? A post the other week on CH was a guess the kitchen gadget. I don't normally like a lot of gadgets but I normally really like this one. I have a lot of trouble cutting the kernels off an ear of corn and this really helps. Today I somehow cut myself but honestly this isn't typical. Like Alton Brown and his aversion to unitaskers, I'm a big proponent of multitaskers in the kitchen.

Chicken Cutlet and Summer Salad (adapted from thekitchn)

6 oz. chicken breast cutlets (thin)
2 heaping tbsp all purpose flour
3 heaping tbsp seasoned breadcrumbs
salt and pepper
1 egg beaten with a tad of water
canola oil, for frying

1 small head butter lettuce
2 cups fingerling potatoes
1 cup cherry tomatoes, slice in half
1 very small onion (ping pong ball sized), chopped
2 ears of corn, kernels cut off cob
2 oz. ricotta
salata, crumbled

1 tbsp red wine vinegar
2
tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
1 tsp
Dijon mustard
1 tsp honey
1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice

  1. Bring a small pot of water to boil.

  2. Add the fingerling potatoes to the pot and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until one can be sliced in half easily. About a min before potatoes are done, add corn.

  3. Remove the potatoes from the pot with a slotted spoon and put on ice to cool. Remove, pat dry, and slice into 1/4-inch rounds.

  4. Toss potatoes, corn, lettuce, onion and tomatoes together and set aside.

  5. Dredge chicken in flour, egg and breadcrumbs in that order. Heat oil in frying pan over medium high heat. Fry chicken on each side and set aside.

  6. Mix vinegar, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, honey and olive oil together using a whisk until emulsified. Salt and pepper to taste.

  7. Toss dressing, ricotta salata and lettuce mixture together. Top with chicken cutlet.

No comments:

Post a Comment