Scallops with Summer Corn Hash
3 strips of bacon
1/2 red onion, chopped
2 carrots, diced
2 ribs of celery, diced
2 red potatoes, peeled and diced
4 ears of white corn, kernels removed
greens from 2 beets, stems chopped and leaves chiffonade
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 cup white wine
1 tbsp butter
scallops (I used 9 cut in half)
salt and pepper to taste (season throughout process)
a couple dashes of Tabasco sauce (I used chipotle flavored)-optional
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet. Set aside bacon and heat 1 tbsp of bacon grease. Add potatoes to bacon grease and cook.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, garlic and beet greens stems. Cook until potatoes are almost done.
- Add beet leaves and wine and cook down until greens are wilted and wine has evaporated.
- Add Tabasco and corn and cook until potatoes and corn are done. Crumble bacon and add back to hash.
- Meanwhile heat butter in another skillet.
- Season scallops with salt and pepper.
- Sear scallops in butter, turning once.
- Serve scallops with hash.