Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Roasted Eggplant Dip

This year for vacation I decided to make a bunch of healthier dips for snacking on. This was the probably the least well received. I don't know if people didn't like the eggplant or the consistency. Unfortunately, it went mostly uneaten so I had to get rid of it. I thought it was ok but not my favorite eggplant dip. Usually I have better luck with the Martha Stewart recipes, so I'm not sure what happened this time. Maybe I'll stick to some of the meal recipes for a while.

Vacation was really great this year. Never have we had such nice weather (in the 70s everyday!). We went in the water almost everyday (I think the kids went in everyday). We went shopping in town. I got some lovely souvenirs and presents for other people. I even played my first round of golf. I wrote some scavenger hunts for my cousins.

Anyway while the other adults were having their gin and tonics, I put out some of this snacks.

Roasted Eggplant Dip (adapted from Martha Stewart)

1 large eggplant
4 garlic cloves (skin on)
4 tbsp olive oil, plus more for serving
4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
Paprika, for garnish (optional)

  • Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place eggplant and garlic on a rimmed baking sheet and rub with 2 tablespoons oil. Roast until garlic is soft and golden, 20 minutes. Remove garlic and set aside. Continue to roast eggplant until soft and deflated, 20 to 25 minutes more. Let cool 20 minutes.
  • Slice eggplant open and scrape flesh into the bowl of a food processor. Peel garlic and add to bowl, along with lemon juice, tahini, salt, and 2 tablespoons oil. Process until smooth. (To store, refrigerate, up to 2 days.) Serve drizzled with more oil and a sprinkle of paprika if desired.


    1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
    2. Place eggplant and garlic on a rimmed baking sheet and rub with 2 tablespoons oil.
    3. Roast until garlic is soft and golden, 20 minutes. Remove garlic and set aside.
    4. Continue to roast eggplant until soft and deflated, 20 to 25 minutes more. Let cool 20 minutes.
    5. Slice eggplant open and scrape flesh into the bowl of a food mill and run it through the mill.
    6. Peel garlic and mash and add to bowl, along with lemon juice, tahini, salt, and 2 tablespoons oil. Mix until smooth. (To store, refrigerate, up to 1 week.)
    7. Serve drizzled with more oil and a sprinkle of paprika if desired.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment