Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Zucchini, Onion, and Goat Cheese Flatbread


This is birthday week. Last Saturday we went out, tonight we are going out, this weekend we are going out. So for lunch I am trying to get all the cooking that I can. One of my all time favorite things to make is flatbread. This particular dough recipe I adapted from Pam Anderson's (not the blond celebrity) cookbook The Perfect Recipe for Losing Weight and Eating Great. She has a whole bunch of other ideas for flatbread but I usually just make up my own. This one was inspired by the fact that zucchini is abundant during the summer even if I don't have a garden of my own. The dough is super easy and doesn't need to rise which makes it great as a quick meal as well. Here is what I did with the dough today although you can add any seasonings you want really. I make one or 2 pizzas instead of 4 mini ones but it was originally for 4 personal flatbreads.

Dough (makes 4 individual flatbreads)
1 cup bread flour
1/3 cup warm water
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp olive oil

Technically you are supposed to use a food processor with a dough hook but I just mix all the ingredients together and form together a ball using my hands. I also add whatever spices I want. Today I used dried rosemary and cracked black pepper.

Once the dough is rolled out, I brush the crust with a little olive oil.

Zucchini, Onion, and Goat Cheese Flatbread

1 recipe flatbread dough
2 oz crumbled goat cheese
1 small zucchini (courgette)
1/2 red onion sliced
olive oil
salt and pepper
crushed red pepper
sugar

1. Roll out the dough and place on a baking sheet on top of parchment paper. Preheat oven to 500 degrees.

2. Brush dough lightly with olive oil.

3. On the stove caramelize the onion in approx. 1 tsp of oil. This may take as long as 15 min. You can be doing the next steps while you wait. Be careful not to burn the onion.

4. Thinly slice the zucchini into rounds. 1/8" to 1/4" of an inch is fine.

5. Remove onions from pan. Using the same pan lightly saute the zucchini rounds until almost soft. Season with salt and pepper.

6. Place the toppings on the flatbread: zucchini, then onion, then goat cheese.

7. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper and a pinch of sugar.

8. Place flatbread into oven and cook for 10-15 min.


IT WAS HEAVEN. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment