On vacation my mother brought a whole bunch of leftover ingredients that she wanted to get rid of, including 1 refrigerated pie crust. So I threw together a stone fruit and blueberry galette.
4-6 stone fruit sliced(I used 1 peach and two types of plums we had hanging around)
1/2 cup whole blueberries
2 tbsp flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 pie crust
1. Toss the fruit with the flour and sugar.
2. Pile the fruit in the center of the pie crust.
3. Fold the crust around the fruit.
4. Bake the galette at 425 degrees for 35 min.
5. Let sit one hour before cutting.
Last night I decided to try one of my favorite experiments again while adapting the ingredients to suit J and I for dinner.
Turkey Vegetable Enchiladas (adapted from Crepes of Wrath/Martha Stewart)
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp Tabasco
1 can fat free low sodium chicken broth
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 package ground turkey
1/2 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach thawed
10 oz frozen corn
1/2 red onion chopped
1 clove garlic chopped
salt and pepper
6 flour tortillas
1 8 oz package shredded Mexican Blend cheese
6 scallions white and light green parts chopped
1. Make sauce: In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add cumin, chili powder, flour, and tomato paste; cook, whisking, 1 minute. Whisk in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook until slightly thickened, 5 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and Tabasco, and set aside.
2. Cook ground turkey in skillet. Add onion and garlic and cook until partially soft. Drain fat from turkey.
3. In a bowl make the filling for the enchiladas. Mix the turkey with the spinach and corn.
4. Fill 6 torillas with 3/4 of the cheese and all the of filling. Roll each tortilla and place them seam side down in a 9 x 13 grease casserole dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
5. Pour sauce over enchiladas and bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 min. Sprinkle with scallions for garnish.The original recipe called for black beans instead of turkey. You could easily make this an all vegetarian recipe.