Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Creamy Seafood Risotto


After I realized that I won't be able to make as many meals as I thought because we are going to the Blink 182 concert this week, I decided to make the risotto as soon as I bought the seafood. To my surprise I was able to buy all the seafood for less than $5. Unfortunately for me, I had to make it a little wetter to start out since J will be eating his dinner when he gets home and I ate mine when it was finished. I also forgot to crush the saffron threads so it probably is less yellow and flavorful than it would have been. This was also my first attempt at cooking calamari so it was a little bit of an adventure.

Creamy Seafood Risotto
Adapted from Culinary Adventures of a New Wife (Adapted from Cooking Light, October '08)

2 cups chicken broth
3/4 8 oz. bottle clam juice
2 teaspoons butter
1 chopped shallot
1/8 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup uncooked Arborio rice
1/8 teaspoon saffron threads
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 chopped Roma tomato
4 ounces shrimp, peeled and deveined
4 ounces bay scallops
1 squid body cut into rings
2 tablespoons light cream
Chopped parsley


1. Bring broth and clam juice to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.

2. Spray a large saucepan with cooking spray. Melt butter in pan over medium heat. Add shallots & onion to pan and cook 2 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add rice and saffron to pan; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add lemon juice to pan; cook 15 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in 1/2 cup hot broth mixture; cook 2 minutes or until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next. If the liquid is cooking off too quickly, turn the heat down a little.

3. Stir in tomatoes; cook for 1 minute. Stir in shrimp, calamari and scallops; cook for 4 minutes or until seafood is cooked through, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in cream.



I don't know if I would make this again. I'm going to wait for J's opinion and then decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment