Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Conchiglie con Broccoli

So it's one of those days that J didn't come over for dinner and as we are always on the mission to eat moderately healthy I decided to try this. I must say that I don't enjoy cooking as much when I don't have help with the dishes. I'm such a pasta junkie that each week I try and slip one in there even though I know it isn't the best for me. Oh well. Pot pie (or bott boi) tomorrow.


Conchiglie con Broccoli
(adapted from epicurious.com)
4 garlic cloves
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 (10-ounces) packages frozen chopped broccoli (do not thaw)
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon hot red-pepper flakes
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano plus additional for serving
1/2 pound dried Conchiglie pasta
1 cup shredded chicken

  1. With food processor running, drop in garlic and finely chop.
  2. Cook garlic in oil in a heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 1 minute. Add broccoli, water, red-pepper flakes, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until broccoli is very tender and almost all of liquid has evaporated, 12 to 15 minutes. Stir in cheese until melted.
  3. Meanwhile, cook pasta in a pot of boiling salted water (2 tablespoon salt for 6 quarts water) until al dente. Reserve 1 cup cooking water, then drain pasta.
  4. Toss pasta with broccoli and 1/2 cup reserved cooking water. Add shredded chicken. Season with salt and thin sauce with more cooking water if desired. Serve with cheese for sprinkling.


No comments:

Post a Comment