Shrimp and Zucchini Barley Risotto (adapted from Health magazine)
3 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups chopped zucchini
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup lightly pearled barley
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon butter
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add zucchini and onion; sauté 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
- Add barley; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.Stir in 1 cup broth; cook 5 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring frequently.
- Stir in 1/2 cup broth and salt. Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 25 minutes).
- Add shrimp; cook 4 minutes. Stir in cheese, butter, and pepper.