This was a spur of the moment type of recipe. I had zucchini and squash leftover from the CSA and I wanted to make myself a snack. It made a lot more than I thought it would and the fritters are rather heavy. I would say two is plenty for a snack. This made approx. 15 or so fritters. The fritters with less flour were a little lighter but they were difficult to roll in the breadcrumbs. Since I ate all these myself it will be awhile before I can try to make them again and perfect the recipe.
Zucchini and Yellow Squash Fritters
1/2 yellow summer squash
1/2 cup flour
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1/2-3/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs, or enough to coat fritters
salt, pepper, garlic powder and minced onion to taste
oil for frying (I used peanut because it was all I had in the house)
- Grate the zucchini and yellow squash.
- Add egg and feta to squashes and mix. Add seasonings.
- Add flour gradually, stop when mixture begins to hold together more easily.
- In a dish, pour breadcrumbs. Scoop out fritter batter and roll in breadcrumbs. Set aside to fry.
- Heat oil to 325-250 degrees in a high sided pan. You need approximately 1/2 an inch for frying.
- Fry until golden brown, turning once. Drain on paper towels.