Thursday, November 5, 2009

Gnocchi with Brown Butter and Sage



Gnocchi is one of those things that I like but I'm not really sure why. I think when you have the perfect gnocchi there is just something about it that tastes indulgent. The problem occurs when you come across an inferior gnocchi. I try not to be too much of a food snob but unfortunately when you are a foodie, every once in a while you have an opinion. I don't usually order gnocchi out. I have made several of my own versions and I find the best gnocchi to be light and fluffy without being heavy and sitting like a rock in your stomach. It shouldn't be too gummy or chewy either. I tried the dried store bought gnocchi this week but I don't know if I'll bother with it again . It was rather hard for my taste.


Gnocchi with Brown Butter and Sage (inspired by a post from Morsels & Musings)

3 tbsp butter
10-20 sage leaves removed from the stem
1 package dried gnocchi, cooked according to package directions
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 sugar
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper
Pinch of cinnamon

  1. Place butter into a frying pan over medium heat.
  2. Cook until melted then add sage leaves to pan.
  3. Cook butter and sage leaves for 4-5 minutes or until sage leaves are crisp and butter has turned a medium nut-brown colour.
  4. Season with salt, pepper, sugar and cinnamon.
  5. Pour sauce over gnocchi and toss to coat.
  6. Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment