Sunday, November 15, 2009

Creamy Carrot Soup

I love pureed vegetable soups. The velvety texture and smooth consistent flavors, even if there isn't any cream, taste decadent and indulgent. The first time I ever had a carrot soup was my freshman or sophomore year in college at a little restaurant in town called California Cafe. I only ever had it once and I don't even know if they make it anymore, but ever since I have wanted to make it myself. I've made 4 carrot soups so far and this one is without a doubt the best one so far. Carrot and cilantro soup had too much tomato and a Mexican flavor. "Best" Carrot Soup had too much onion and at the time I didn't like the tarragon. Autumn Carrot Soup had so many other ingredients that the carrots didn't really feel like the star, and as I said when I made it: it still wasn't perfect. I don't know if Creamy Carrot soup was perfect but I would definitely make it again.

Creamy Carrot Soup (adapted from allrecipes.com) Serves 3 bowls or 5 cups

1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tbsp butter
2 1/4 cups sliced carrots
1/2 large potato, peeled and cubed
15 oz. fat free low sodium chicken broth
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup half and half
1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
  1. In a Dutch oven, saute onion in butter until tender.
  2. Add carrots, potato, broth, nutmeg and ginger. Cover and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
  3. Transfer to a blender; cover and process until smooth.
  4. Return all to the pan; stir in the half and half, rosemary, salt and pepper.
  5. Cook over low heat until heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment