Monday, September 28, 2009

Mustard Maple Salmon and Roasted Carrot Couscous



As you can see I'm still using the phone to take pictures. I promise I will charge the batteries tonight! Anyway, when I was in college I started eating salmon. I don't know why it took me so long to start liking fish as much as I do now. When I was a little kid we used to eat flounder breaded in cracker meal and fried with a side of baked macaroni that my mother made using white American cheese (especially during Lent). I remember holding my nose and refusing to go in the kitchen if my mother was even cooking fish. My mother would make something else for my sister and I. Usually they only had fish on payday and many times my mother would go to buy the fish at the fish market. I really only remember them eating tuna, salmon, and swordfish. When I went to college I don't remember the first time I had salmon but I feel like I was with M at the Outback. However, if that wasn't my first encounter with salmon, this is the recipe that made me fall in love with it. This is Mustard Maple Salmon. I eyeballed the ingredients and used just 2 pieces of fish but the flavor combination is delicious.

Mustard Maple Salmon (I don't know where my mother found this)

3 tbsp dijon mustard
3 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 (6 oz) salmon fillets

  1. Combine first five ingredients and marinate salmon in sauce for 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
  2. Prepare grill or broiler (I broil mine on high because salmon tends to stick to the grill).
  3. Place salmon on broiler pan and pour leftover marinade over fish. You can also occasionally baste salmon if you prefer or you are using the grill.
  4. If you are using a piece with skin on the bottom (see photo) cook skin side down for 8 min on high or until it flakes easily when tested with a fork.
Serves 4 (WW 8 pts)

I decided to try and use up some whole wheat couscous as my side dish. I roasted 4 carrots with olive oil, salt, pepper and cinnamon. I cooked the couscous in chicken broth and added some golden raisins to allow them to plump up. I also added some chopped hazelnuts I had on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment