Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Kung Pao Back to School Night

I am sooooooooooooooooooooo exhausted! Tonight was Back to School Night. Being a teacher, I had to give a presentation in 10 minutes to each period of parents that I teach. I was giddy with an energy high until I got home and all of a sudden I just didn't feel like doing anything. Sadly I still had to eat dinner and I couldn't go out with the other teachers afterwards. Next year I am planning ahead and eating before in case I want to go out after. Every year I never have enough time to say everything and I'll probably be hoarse tomorrow from talking so much and so quickly for 2 hours. But you all didn't come to hear about Back to School Night...

Miraculously, I dragged my rear into the kitchen and whipped up some Kung Pao Chicken from Cooking Light.

Kung Pao Chicken (adapted from Cooking Light)

1 tablespoon peanut oil , divided
2 broccoli crowns, cut into florets
1 tablespoon ground fresh ginger, divided
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 skinless, boneless chicken breast half
1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon cornstarch
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped unsalted peanuts
  1. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add broccoli and 2 teaspoons ginger to pan; sauté 1 minute. Add water. Cover; cook 2 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender. Remove broccoli from pan; keep warm.
  2. Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in pan; add remaining 1 teaspoon ginger, crushed red pepper, and chicken. Cook 4 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned, stirring frequently.
  3. Combine broth and next 5 ingredients (through garlic) in a small bowl, and stir with a whisk. Add broth mixture to pan; cook until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Return broccoli mixture to pan; toss to coat. Sprinkle with peanuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment