Sunday, February 8, 2009

Dinner from a Can


I have always been skeptical about those recipes that use canned soup as one of the ingredients. My mother never did it that way. I actually didn't even like soup as a child. The only kind of soup we ate was from a can unless we were at a restaurant. Now soup is one of my favorite foods. I don't buy canned soup though. I think in the pantry right now there are 7 cans of soups: 2 for this week's experiment using canned soup as an ingredient, 1 Italian Wedding because my boyfriend claims you need something in case you get snowed in, 1 chicken noodle that he bought for when he is sick, and 3 creamy potato that he brought with him when he moved in which are supposed to be for when he doesn't want to eat what I'm having for lunch on the weekends. All the soup I make is homemade otherwise. I love smooth soups, certain chunky soups, creamy soups, cold soups etc. Anyway I'm about to embark on 2 experimental dinners...

Chicken Enchiladas (which use cream of mushroom, not very authentic)
and
Swiss Chicken Casserole (with cream of chicken soup)

I am also going to attempt to make my own potato soup. I am not a potato soup fan but I'm going to try.

I predict that using the soups may be faster/more economical in some cases, but not as tasty or satisfying (or fun) as making things from scratch.

No comments:

Post a Comment