Fettucine Bolognese (adapted from Cooking Light)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
1 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
1 lb. meatloaf mix (ground pork, beef, and veal)
1 cup white wine
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 bay leaf
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can tomato puree
1 cup whole milk
2 (9-ounce) packages fresh fettuccine, cooked and drained according to package
2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, and carrot and cook 8 minutes or until onion is translucent and vegetables get a little color. Stir to avoid sticking.
- Add meat to pan and cook over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble.
- Add wine, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes. Add the broth, and tomato puree; bring to a simmer. Cook 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Add pasta, and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle evenly with cheese.