Sunday, October 10, 2010

Shrimp and Zucchini Barley Risotto

I am trying to count my points better in this last week in addition to using up produce we receive in the weekly CSA box. I think this was the last of the zucchini (just in time for my favorite season, Autumn). I knew J wouldn't be entirely impressed with this meal so I made him some baked bluefish for his dinner. This was my first attempt at making barley. I thought it had a lot of nice flavor and an interesting texture. For once I didn't even change the recipe. Low in points as well. :)

Shrimp and Zucchini Barley Risotto (adapted from Health magazine)

3 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups chopped zucchini
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup lightly pearled barley
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon butter
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

  1. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
  2. Add zucchini and onion; sauté 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
  3. Add barley; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.Stir in 1 cup broth; cook 5 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring frequently.
  4. Stir in 1/2 cup broth and salt. Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 25 minutes).
  5. Add shrimp; cook 4 minutes. Stir in cheese, butter, and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment