Monday, October 11, 2010

Roasted Pepper Relish

I decided to make this particular recipe as a topping for a burger we ate last week. It was very delicious. I had most of these peppers leftover from the CSA box. Since most of these are actually those little yummy orange peppers, I didn't quite have the 4 bell peppers the recipe called for but it was pretty much the equilvalent. J is still sick of peppers, so he didn't really want any of this.

After I tasted this I thought that red onion and feta cheese would complement this very well. I added a little for the leftovers the next day. This was very easy and tasty and low in points. I recommend chopping the peppers really small and adding these ingredients and topping some crostini with the relish for a nice light appetizer.

I took advantage of the grocery store olive bar to get my kalamata olives. I don't usually like olive but along with more other things I am warming up to them lately. As a child I love those black olives out of a can. How many little kids stuck those on their fingers and ate them off one by one? Other strange foods I ate as a child include grapefruit (no sugar) and cottage cheese (no fruit).

Roasted Pepper Relish (adapted from Cooking Light)

4 bell peppers (assorted colors) or equivalent (I used some bell and some mini sweet)
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons chopped pitted kalamata olives
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  1. Roast peppers in the oven: cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes.
  2. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 15 minutes or until blackened. Place in a bowl and cover. Let stand 15 minutes.
  3. Peel peppers; remove and discard seeds. Cut peppers into 1/2-inch pieces.
  4. Combine bell peppers and remaining ingredients in a medium bowl; toss well.

No comments:

Post a Comment