Friday, June 18, 2010

Zucchini and Yellow Squash Fritters


This was a spur of the moment type of recipe. I had zucchini and squash leftover from the CSA and I wanted to make myself a snack. It made a lot more than I thought it would and the fritters are rather heavy. I would say two is plenty for a snack. This made approx. 15 or so fritters. The fritters with less flour were a little lighter but they were difficult to roll in the breadcrumbs. Since I ate all these myself it will be awhile before I can try to make them again and perfect the recipe.

Zucchini and Yellow Squash Fritters

1/2 zucchini
1/2 yellow summer squash
1/2 cup flour
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1/2-3/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs, or enough to coat fritters
salt, pepper, garlic powder and minced onion to taste
oil for frying (I used peanut because it was all I had in the house)

  1. Grate the zucchini and yellow squash.
  2. Add egg and feta to squashes and mix. Add seasonings.
  3. Add flour gradually, stop when mixture begins to hold together more easily.
  4. In a dish, pour breadcrumbs. Scoop out fritter batter and roll in breadcrumbs. Set aside to fry.
  5. Heat oil to 325-250 degrees in a high sided pan. You need approximately 1/2 an inch for frying.
  6. Fry until golden brown, turning once. Drain on paper towels.

No comments:

Post a Comment