Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Fish Sticks with Sauteed Swiss Chard

I never had fish sticks growing up on as a child. The closest thing was fried flounder or catfish filets. I really didn't eat a lot of fish growing up. I was in college when I started eating salmon etc. This is a more high maintenance version of the fish sticks you get in the box, at least I'm assuming. I'm still pretty sure I have had any that I can remember at least. It probably wouldn't have been so time consuming if I didn't cut the tilapia smaller than your average fish stick. These are baked not fried and crisped up nicely in the oven.

Fish Sticks (adapted from eatingwell.com)

canola oil cooking spray
1/2 cup dry seasoned breadcrumbs
1 cup corn flake cereal
1 tsp lemon pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 large egg whites, beaten
1 pound tilapia filets, cut into strips

  1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
  2. Set a wire rack on a baking sheet; coat with cooking spray.
  3. Place breadcrumbs, cereal flakes, lemon pepper, garlic powder, paprika and salt in a food processor process until finely ground. Transfer to a shallow dish.
  4. Place flour in a second shallow dish and egg whites in a third shallow dish.
  5. Coat each strip of fish in the flour, then the egg and then coat with the breadcrumb mixture.
  6. Place on wire rack.
  7. Coat both sides of the breaded fish with cooking spray.
  8. Bake until the fish is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Sauteed Swiss Chard

1 tsp olive oil
2 cups torn or sliced swiss chard
3 tbsp dried currants
2 tbsp pine nuts
salt and pepper, to taste
pinch dried rosemary
1 clove garlic

  1. Heat olive oil in a skillet.
  2. Add currants and pine nuts and saute until pine nuts begin to turn golden brown.
  3. Add garlic and saute about 1 minute.
  4. Add swiss chard and rosemary and saute until wilted.
  5. Salt and pepper to taste.

1 comment:

  1. most of us when we are young, we seldom or sometimes don'w eat fish and vegetable but it depends how our parents encourage us...but now I also love fish and vegetable and I often or sometimes i lessen the meat in my diet. I used cream dory whenever I cook fish sticks or fillet.

    ReplyDelete